THE SCHOOL

CONSORTIUM

DANUBE UNIVERSITY KREMS 

Danube University Krems is the leading public university for continuing education in Europe. With its expertise in teaching and research it works to overcome societal challenges. As university for continuing education we specialize in enhancing the qualifications of working professionals. The strength of Danube University Krems is providing university courses that keep pace with the times and are oriented toward current and future societal challenges. Approximately 8,240 students are currently enrolled in Danube University Krems, more than 24,500 have already completed their studies successfully.

Research at Danube University Krems is centered on contemporary and future challenges society faces. In a transdisciplinary context we build bridges between basic research and practice-oriented application, between individual disciplines and in particular to society. Danube University Krems combines ongoing innovation in research and teaching with the highest standards and holds the seal of quality of the Agency for Quality Assurance and Accreditation Austria (AQ Austria).



INSTITUTE OF THEORETICAL AND APPLIED MECHANICS OF THE CZECH ACADEMY OF SCIENCES (ITAM)

ITAM is one of the institutes of the most important research organization in the Czech republic. ITAM works on scientific research in the field of solid phase mechanics, oriented particularly on civil engineering structures. It carries out the research also in micromechanics, biomechanics of solids, dynamics of structures, nonlinear mechanics of systems, processes of failure of materials, mechanics of multifunctional materials, and computer and numerical mechanics. 

The research is also concerned with the economic assessment of structures, buildings, etc. incl. proposals for new methodologies for special-purpose buildings and structures and the assessment of environmental and territorial effects, particularly in the safeguarding and evaluation of historical buildings and settlements. 

The institute has been granted by the European Commission as a "Centre of Excellence" for the Cultural Heritage.

 


MASARYK UNIVERSITY
 

The university was established by an act of law on 28 January 1919. It was founded as the second Czech university, in large part thanks to the endeavour of Czechoslovak president Tomáš G. Masaryk, whose name it now bears. The funding of Masaryk University was one of the first achievements carried out by the newly independent Czechoslovak state. Masaryk University is comprised of nine faculties, two university institutes and approximately 200 departments. Teaching staff account for a full 2,000 of the overall total of over 5,000 employees. Over 180,000 graduates successfully completed their studies at MU since the university’s founding. Nearly 35,000 students are currently enrolled, including over 7,000 internationals.

Department of Art History
For ninety years, we have been a comprehensive educational institution, as well as a scientific and research centre, offering education at all levels of university study. Our current research centres are: Centre of Early Medieval Studies: West, Byzantium, Islam; Centre for Early Modern Studies; Centre for the History of Images and Visual Culture; Continuity and Rupture in Central European Art and Architecture, 1918-1939.

 


MUNICIPALITY OF ACCUMOLI
 

The Municipality of Accumoli is located in Lazio, on the Via Salaria, in the upper Valle del Tronto. In 2016 and 2017, the historic center and the surrounding settlements were massively destroyed by numerous strong earthquakes. The municipal administration and the population have been placed in temporary buildings on site and have to face the problem of the reconstruction of historical settlements, economic structures and their social, cultural and denominational life. A multi-functional building built in the meantime by the Municipality will be used for the "School of Reconstruction".

 


MUNICIPALITY OF VENZONE
 

The Municipality of Venzone is located in Italy, in the province of Udine in the Friuli Venezia Giulia Region. Venzone is a medieval town. The built-up area is surrounded by a double wall and a deep ditch; the plan of Venzone is hexagonal in shape with unequal sides. The walls, 8 meters high and 1.5 wide, were firmly anchored to a system of 15 towers. In 1976, however, its history suffered a sudden, catastrophic shock. Two tremendous earthquakes hit the Friuli Venezia Giulia Region with its epicenter a few kilometers from Venzone. Almost immediately the reconstruction of the town began. Thanks to the foresight of the political class and the iron will of the inhabitants Venzone was rebuild "where it was and how it was". The reconstruction began in 1978 through a complex but successful devolution of the decision-making powers to the mayor. After careful architectural studies it ended in 1995 with the reconstruction by anastylosis of the Cathedral, replacing the original stones where they were before the earthquake.

 


SAPIENZA UNIVERSITY OF ROME, DEPARTMENT OF HISTORY, REPRESENTATION AND RESTORATION OF ARCHITECTURE

Research topics of the Department are linked to the activity of the two constituent departments and focus on the history of architecture, from the study of theories and historiographical methods to the one of individual historic buildings, cities, minor centers and the landscape; on Representation, from the methods and the history of representation to the most recent techniques of representation and survey of architecture and territory, to graphics and design; on Restoration, from theories and methods of conservative intervention to the design of conservation and restoration interventions, from the consolidation of surfaces to structural consolidation.

The confluence of the numerous competences now gathered in the Department has seen the growth of the definition of new and more articulated research and design objectives within the existing architectural, urban and landscape heritage, to respond to the increasingly complex demands of the client and to the use of the most up-to-date techniques for in-depth study and transmission of knowledge in a national and international context.

Results of research and work carried out in collaboration with public institutions and with foreign academies and research institutes in Rome and in Europe, but also beyond these boundaries, are indicators of the Department's ability to make a significant contribution to its research areas and in the field of education. The Department supports both the basic courses in the Degree and Master's Degree courses in the Faculty of Architecture and the Faculty of Engineering and third level courses (II level Master; PhD in History, Representation and Restoration of the architecture) and is linked to the School of Specialization in Architectural and Landscape Heritage for the study and restoration of the monuments of "Sapienza".

 


SLOVAK UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY IN BRATISLAVA (STU)
 

The Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava (hereinafter referred to as "STU") is a public university and offers university education in engineering disciplines. Its education system is based on scientific research, as well as on artistic, engineering and other creative activities. The STU consists of seven faculties (Architecture, Civil Engineering, Materials Science and Technology, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Information Technology, Chemical and Food Technology, Informatics and Information Technologies, Institute of Management) based in Bratislava and Trnava. The faculties provide studies in accredited study programmes within the complex system of a bachelor, master and PhD. Degree using modern methods of education, laboratories and practical training. 

In fields of education and research, the Faculty of Architecture focusses on topics of documentation and restoration of monuments, revival and refurbishment of historical urban structures, structural design of buildings, involving mainly the Institute of History and Theory of Architecture and Monuments Restoration, the Institute of Urban Design and Urban Planning as well as the Institute of Architectural and Engineering Structures.

 


UNIVERSITY OF CAMERINO
 

The University of Camerino (UNICAM) is the 16th oldest university in the world. It has been founded in 1336, was officially recognized by the Pope in 1727 and in 1958 became a State university. At present it is organised in five “Schools”: Architecture and Design, Bioscience and Veterinary Medicine, Law, Pharmacy, Science and Technology, and four campuses in Camerino, Ascoli Piceno, Matelica, San Benedetto del Tronto.

Unicam is a natural place to learn, where spaces and appropriate tools are available for students, and where continuous relations with teaching staff are possible thanks to the good professor/student ratio that favours interactions. Unicam offers Degree Courses of certified quality, which respond well to the complexity and progress of the social and economic framework. In line with its policy to increase international cooperation and to establish an international higher education network, Unicam offers a comprehensive range of programmes, from undergraduate courses to doctorate studies, entirely taught in English. International students are a very important and valued part of the University of Camerino, making up nearly 11% of the student body. 

Surely the best summary of the international success of Unicam is represented by the International School of Advanced Studies (SAS), established in 2005 with the goal of attracting into their PhD programmes the best talents without restriction of nationality: currently about 28% of the students comes from foreign countries. The SAS coordinates structured and interdisciplinary doctoral programmes, general and transferable activities, and mobility of doctoral candidates, in agreement with the Principles for Innovative Doctoral Training.

 


UNIVERSITY OF SANT´ANSELMO
 

The Pontifical University of Sant´Anselmo is an international Benedictine university, which offers courses in philosophy, theology and sacred liturgy, monastic studies, languages, sacramental theology, history of theology and philosophy of religion, Architecture and Art for the Liturgy, Liturgical Music, Tourist Guides.

The University was restored in its present form by Pope Leo XIII in 1887, created in honour of St. Anselm of Canterbury. In 1952, the institution was given further recognition and flourished after the Second Vatican Council. The Pontifical Institute of Liturgy was canonically established by the Apostolic See as a faculty of Sacred Liturgy of the Pontifical University of St. Anselm in order to promote liturgical science through research and teaching. As such it is empowered to grant, in the name of the Pope, the academic degrees of License (SL.L.) and Doctorate (SL.D.)

 


UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY AND ECONOMICS (BME)
 

The Budapest University of Technology and Economics (BME), founded in 1782, is the oldest Institute of Technology with university rank in the world, and one of the largest higher educational institutes in Hungary. More than 110 departments and institutes operate within the structure of eight faculties, these are (in order of their founding):

   - Faculty of Civil Engineering (ÉMK)
   - Faculty of Mechanical Engineering (GPK)  
   - Faculty of Architecture (ÉPK)      
   - Faculty of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology (VBK)     
   - Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Informatics (VIK)     
   - Faculty of Transportation Engineering and Vehicle Engineering (KJK)   
   - Faculty of Natural Sciences (TTK)     
   - Faculty of Economic and Social Sciences (GTK)
     
BME issues about 70% of Hungary's engineering degrees. About 1100 lecturers, 400 researchers and other degree holders and numerous invited lecturers and practising expert specialists participate in education and research. Approximately 800 of the university's 14.000 students are from 50 countries abroad.